USA Visa Requirements for Swedes

Welcome to the land of boundless opportunities and diverse landscapes, the United States of America. Whether you’re a Swedish citizen dreaming of walking through the electric avenues of New York City, embarking on a coastal road trip along the iconic Highway 1, or exploring the natural wonders of the Grand Canyon, planning your US adventure begins with understanding the visa requirements. Traveling to the US for tourism, business, or transit purposes requires that Swedes, like many other nationalities, obtain the necessary travel authorization to ensure a hassle-free entry into the country. In this article, we will meticulously guide you through everything you need to know about the US travel visa requirements for Swedish citizens.

Understanding the ESTA for Swedish Citizens

Before purchasing your flight ticket to the US, it’s paramount that you consider the travel authorization you’ll need. For Swedes, this most often means acquiring an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The ESTA is not a traditional visa, but a travel authorization that enables citizens from VWP Countries – including Sweden – to travel to the US for tourism, business or while in transit for up to 90 days, without obtaining a visa.

The best part? The ESTA application process is entirely online, making it convenient and straightforward. You no longer need to visit a US embassy or consulate, saving you precious time and effort.

Steps to Apply for an ESTA

If you’re a Swedish citizen looking to travel to the United States, here are the straightforward steps to apply for an ESTA:

  1. Fill out our user-friendly online application form. It should take about 10 minutes, and you’ll need your valid passport to complete the process.
  2. Submit and pay for your application. We offer a range of payment options for your convenience, including PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and credit card.
  3. Expect to receive your ESTA via email within 72 hours. We will send your approved travel authorization directly to your inbox, and with that, you’re ready to make your way to the US!

In scenarios where you need your ESTA urgently, you can opt for one of our expedited processing options by selecting the desired add-on at checkout.

Validity and Multiple Entries

One of the great advantages of the ESTA for Swedish travelers is its 2-year validity or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. During this period, you can enter the US multiple times for short stays not exceeding 90 days per visit.

Requirements for the ESTA Application

To ensure a successful ESTA application, you must meet certain requirements:

  • A valid electronic passport from Sweden that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the planned departure from the United States.
  • A valid credit card or other payment methods mentioned above, to pay the processing fee for the ESTA.
  • It’s essential to provide a current email address where the approved ESTA will be sent.

Bear in mind that an approved ESTA does not guarantee entry into the United States. Admission to the country is at the discretion of the Customs and Border Protection officials at the point of entry.

Differences Between the ESTA and a Visa

While the ESTA is suitable for short visits, there are instances where a traditional visa might be necessary. If you intend to stay in the US for more than 90 days, or if you plan to engage in activities not permissible under the VWP – such as employment or long-term study – you will need to apply for the appropriate visa.

Key Considerations When Traveling to the US

As a Swedish traveler, it’s also important to:

  • Check the expiration date of your ESTA before planning any subsequent trips to the US.
  • Have a return or onward ticket if traveling under the VWP.
  • Understand that the ESTA is not valid for entry by land from Mexico or Canada; in such cases, you need to complete an I-94W form.


Can I extend my stay in the US beyond 90 days with an ESTA?

Unfortunately, you cannot extend your stay beyond 90 days under the VWP. If you foresee the need to stay longer, you must apply for a visa that suits the duration and purpose of your stay.

What if my passport expires before my ESTA?

Your ESTA is valid until the expiration date, unless your passport expires first, in which case your ESTA will no longer be valid. You must have a valid passport for the full duration of your stay in the US.

Do minors need an ESTA to travel to the US?

Yes, children of all ages must have their own ESTA before traveling to the US under the VWP.


To sum up, obtaining an ESTA for Swedes is a simple and necessary step in planning your US getaway. By following the guidelines above and ensuring your travel plans are in line with the VWP’s stipulations, you can look forward to an exciting journey to the United States. Just remember to apply for your ESTA well in advance of your trip to ensure everything goes smoothly as you prepare to explore the many wonders of America.

Our platform is dedicated to assisting you with your ESTA application, and we are always here to help make your American travel dreams come true. Feel free to start your apply here for your ESTA and embark on an unforgettable adventure!

Share this...