Complete Guide: Who Needs a Visa to Enter the United States?

A pinned blue, white and red decorative cloth with stars reminiscent of the US flag fanning out

Traveling to the United States is an exciting prospect, filled with diverse landscapes, rich history, and vibrant cultural experiences. From the bustling streets of New York City to the majestic Grand Canyon, the U.S. offers countless destinations that attract millions of visitors each year. Whether you’re planning to visit for tourism, business, or to catch up with friends and relatives, understanding the requirements for entry is crucial to ensure a smooth journey.

Most travelers are aware that entry into the United States often requires a visa, but not everyone needs to go through the lengthy process of obtaining one. For citizens of VWP or Visa Waiver Program countries, the process can be much simpler thanks to the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization).

The Visa Waiver Program and ESTA

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) is a U.S. government program that allows citizens from certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. Instead of a traditional visa, eligible travelers can apply for an ESTA, which is a quicker, more streamlined process. An ESTA is not a visa; it is a travel authorization that pre-screens travelers before they embark on their journey to the U.S.

To understand if you require a visa to enter the U.S. or if you’re eligible for an ESTA, it’s important to first determine if your country of citizenship is part of the VWP. If your country is on the list, and you plan to stay for under 90 days, you will typically use the ESTA system for authorization. However, for longer stays, or if you plan to study, work, or engage in other activities not permitted under the VWP, you will need to obtain the corresponding visa for your visit.

Applying for an ESTA

If you determine that an ESTA is the right option for you, the application process is straightforward:

  1. Fill out our easy-to-use online application form. The application takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to have your passport handy.
  2. Submit & Pay for your application. We accept all payment types. PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay & Credit Card.
  3. Get your ESTA emailed to you within 72hrs. We’ll email you your approved travel authorization and that’s it, you’re ready to go!

For those in need of an ESTA quickly, expedited processing options are available at checkout for an additional fee.

Understanding Who Needs a Visa

Individuals who are not citizens of VWP countries or those who plan to stay for more than 90 days will need to obtain the appropriate type of visa for their travel. The process for applying for a U.S. visa includes completing an application, submitting the required documentation, and attending an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.

There are many different types of visas, each designed for a specific purpose of travel. This includes, but is not limited to, the following types:

  • Tourist or business visas (B1/B2)
  • Work visas (various categories)
  • Student visas (F, M)
  • Exchange visitor visas (J)
  • Transit/ship crew visas (C, D)

Each visa type comes with its own set of requirements, application procedures, and fees. It’s essential to select the correct visa category based on your reason for travel, as mistakes can lead to delays or rejections.

FAQs About Travel Authorizations and Visas

Do I still need an ESTA if I already have a U.S. visa?

No, if you have a valid U.S. visa, you do not need to obtain an ESTA. Your visa already serves as authorization to travel and enter the United States.

What if my country isn’t part of the Visa Waiver Program?

If your country is not a part of the VWP, you must apply for a visa to travel to the United States. This process begins by filling out a visa application form and scheduling an interview with the U.S. embassy or consulate.

Can I extend my stay in the U.S. with an ESTA?

An ESTA authorization is valid for visits of up to 90 days. If you wish to stay longer, you must obtain a visa appropriate for your situation.

How long is an ESTA valid for?

An ESTA is typically valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. You can make multiple trips to the U.S. during this period without reapplying, as long as each visit is 90 days or less.


Understanding whether you need a visa to enter the United States can be straightforward if you’re armed with the correct information. Citizens of VWP countries have the convenience of applying for an ESTA, a process we are ready to assist you with through our user-friendly application platform. For others, obtaining a U.S. visa will be the route to take. Regardless of your country of origin, ensuring you have the proper travel authorization is key to a hassle-free U.S. visit.

Share this...