Visa Requirements for Finnish Citizens Traveling to the USA

Embarking on a journey to the United States from Finland offers an exhilarating blend of adventure, cultural exploration, and iconic landmarks. Whether you’re dreaming of walking through the bustling streets of New York City, journeying through the serene landscapes of the national parks, or dipping your toes into the warm sands of California’s beaches, the US is a tapestry of experiences waiting to be discovered. Before you can dive into the vibrant melting pot of American culture, it’s essential to arrange your travel authorization—and for Finnish citizens, the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) offers a streamlined path to entering the United States.

As you prepare for your US trip, it’s helpful to familiarize yourself with the ESTA, a vital step in ensuring a smooth and enjoyable travel experience. This special visa waiver allows eligible travelers from VWP Countries to visit the US for tourism, business, or transit purposes for up to 90 days without obtaining a traditional visa. It’s not only convenient but also quick to apply for, and we at eVisaUS are here to guide you through each step.

Understanding the ESTA for Finnish Travelers

For Finnish nationals looking to take advantage of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), the ESTA is a mandatory travel authorization. It’s designed to enhance security while simplifying your travel planning. Here’s how you can easily secure your travel authorization to the United States:

  1. Fill out our easy-to-use online application form. The application takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to have your passport handy.
  2. Submit & Pay for your application. We accept all payment types. PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay & Credit Card.
  3. Get your ESTA emailed to you within 72hrs. We’ll email you your approved travel authorisation and that’s it, you’re ready to go!

If you need your ESTA in a hurry, you can choose from our two expedited processing options. Simply select your add-on at checkout.

Eligibility and Requirements

To qualify for an ESTA, Finnish citizens need to meet certain criteria:

  • You must be a citizen of Finland or another VWP country.
  • Your trip to the U.S. must be for 90 days or less.
  • The purpose of your visit should be for business, pleasure, or transit.
  • You must hold a passport with a digital chip containing your biometric info.
  • Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay.

Please note that having an ESTA does not guarantee admission into the United States, as this decision rests with the Customs and Border Protection officer upon your arrival. Nevertheless, it’s a requisite for boarding your carrier.

Applying for an ESTA: Step by Step Guide

For Finnish citizens, applying for an ESTA is a straightforward online process that can be completed quickly and easily with eVisaUS:

  1. Access our user-friendly online application form via our official website.
  2. Provide accurate personal and passport information.
  3. Answer the security questions honestly.
  4. Review your information, submit your application, and complete the payment.

Avoid common mistakes by checking all the details thoroughly before submission. Any discrepancies can lead to delays or even denial of your ESTA.

Once approved, your ESTA is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. It allows for multiple entries into the United States, making it ideal for regular travelers from Finland.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How long does it take to get an ESTA?

After submitting your application, you can expect to receive your ESTA confirmation via email within 72 hours. However, we recommend applying at least 72 hours before your departure to account for any unforeseen delays.

Is an ESTA the same as a visa?

No, an ESTA is not the same as a visa. It is a visa waiver specific to citizens of VWP participating countries for short-term visits. If you plan a longer stay or different travel purposes, you may need to apply for a visa.

What should I do if my ESTA application is denied?

If your ESTA application is denied, you may need to apply for a regular tourist visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. But because each case is unique, it’s essential to understand the reason for denial before proceeding.

Can I extend my stay in the US beyond the 90 days with an ESTA?

No, the ESTA does not permit extensions beyond the permitted 90-day stay under the Visa Waiver Program. You must leave the US within the 90-day timeframe and reapply for another ESTA for future visits.


Travel from Finland to the USA is an exciting prospect, and the ESTA makes this process smoother for eligible Finnish citizens. By ensuring your travel documents are in order, you can focus on the more thrilling aspects of your American adventure. Should you have any questions or require further assistance with your ESTA application, feel free to reach out to us at eVisaUS. We’re dedicated to making your travel planning as effortless as possible, so you can fully immerse yourself in the rich and diverse experiences the United States has to offer.

Share this...