How Finnish Citizens Can Easily Apply for a USA Visa with the Electronic System for Travel eVisa (ESTA)

Traveling from the serene landscapes of Finland to the energetic and diverse environment of the United States can be a thrilling experience. Whether you are planning to explore the vibrant cities, embark on a road trip across the states, or marvel at natural wonders like the Grand Canyon, the US has something to offer for every Finnish adventurer. Cultural exchanges, business opportunities, and family vacations are just a few reasons why Finnish citizens make the Trans-Atlantic journey to America. However, before you start packing your bags, it’s crucial to understand the visa requirements and the process to apply for travel authorization, ensuring a smooth entry into the country.

For Finnish citizens, the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) simplifies travel to the United States, allowing for visa-free entry for tourism, business, or transit purposes for up to 90 days. Instead of a traditional US visa, Finns can obtain an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), a streamlined and user-friendly process.

Understanding the ESTA for Finnish Citizens

The ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the US under the VWP. For Finnish citizens, it replaces the need for a visa for short visits. While it’s a more convenient option, it’s essential to apply for the ESTA with sufficient time before your travel plans.

To ensure that you have all the necessary information, here’s a breakdown of the key points:

  • Eligibility: Finnish citizens are among the nationalities eligible for the ESTA thanks to Finland’s inclusion in the VWP. This program includes a select group of countries with high standards of security and a low rate of visa refusals.
  • Validity and Length of Stay: An approved ESTA is valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. It permits multiple entries into the US with each stay lasting no longer than 90 days.
  • Purpose of Travel: The ESTA is ideal for tourism, certain types of business, and transit. However, if you plan to work, study for credit, or stay for longer than 90 days, you’ll need a different type of visa.
  • Application Process: Apply for the ESTA online through our easy-to-use application form. The process is straightforward and takes about 10 minutes. Keep your passport handy as you will need it during the process.

Steps to Apply for a US ESTA as a Finnish Citizen

Securing your ESTA is a three-step process that can be completed quickly:

  1. Fill out our easy-to-use online application form. The application takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to have your passport handy.
  2. Submit & Pay for your application. We accept all payment types. PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay & Credit Card.
  3. Get your ESTA emailed to you within 72hrs. We’ll email you your approved travel authorisation and that’s it, you’re ready to go!

If you need your ESTA in a hurry, you can choose from our two expedited processing options. Simply select your add-on at checkout.

Important Considerations for Finnish Applicants

While the ESTA process is designed to be as comfortable as possible, there are a few points Finnish citizens should bear in mind:

  • Passport Validity: Your passport must be an electronic passport with a digital chip containing biometric information and be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States.
  • Accuracy of Information: Ensure all details on your ESTA application match the information on your passport. Discrepancies can lead to delays or denials.
  • Updates and Changes: If your personal details or travel plans change after submitting your application, you may need to update your ESTA or apply for a new one.
  • Denied Applications: On rare occasions, an ESTA application may be denied. If this occurs, you will need to apply for a visa at a US embassy or consulate.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the difference between an ESTA and a Visa?

An ESTA is an authorization for visa-free travel under the VWP, designed for short tourist or business trips. A visa involves a more detailed application process and is required for extended stays or purposes not covered by the ESTA.

Do I need to print my ESTA?

It’s not mandatory to print your ESTA as it’s electronically linked to your passport, but it is recommended to have a printed copy for your records and to present at the airline counter if requested.

Can I work or study in the US with an ESTA?

No, an ESTA does not permit work or study in the US. You will need to apply for a specific visa for those activities.


As a Finnish citizen, the ESTA presents a convenient and straightforward pathway to visit the United States. By following the easy steps outlined above and considering all necessary information, you can ensure a hassle-free journey to the US. Remember that while the ESTA streamlines your travel experience significantly, it’s essential to stay informed on any updates that could affect your travel authorization. Safe travels!

Share this...