USA visa application for Spanish citizens

For Spanish citizens looking to explore the vast landscapes and cultural melting pot of the United States, understanding the visa application process is the first step to a successful journey. From the bustling metropolitan cities to the serene national parks, the US offers an array of experiences that cater to every traveler’s taste. Fortunately, as Spain is one of the VWP countries, Spanish citizens can take advantage of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) for short-term tourism or business trips.

Understanding the ESTA for Spanish Citizens

Before packing your bags and dreaming of the Golden Gate Bridge or the Statue of Liberty, it’s important to understand the ESTA. The ESTA is not a visa, but rather a travel authorization that allows visitors from VWP countries to enter the United States for 90 days or less without obtaining a traditional US visa. Its purpose is to enhance border security while making travel more efficient for eligible individuals.

Spanish citizens are among those who can reap the benefits of this streamlined process. The application can be completed quickly online, and once approved, the ESTA allows for multiple entries into the country, making it an ideal option for frequent travelers. However, it’s vital to note that an ESTA must be obtained prior to boarding a US-bound flight, and it does not guarantee entry as the final decision rests with the Customs and Border Protection officer upon arrival.

How to Apply for a US ESTA as a Spanish Citizen

The ESTA application process is notable for its simplicity, convenience, and speed. Here’s how Spanish citizens can apply:

  1. Fill out our easy-to-use online application form. The application takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to have your passport handy.
  2. Submit and Pay for your application. We accept all payment types. PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay & Credit Card.
  3. Get your ESTA emailed to you within 72hrs. We’ll email you your approved travel authorization and that’s it, you’re ready to go!

If you’re in need of your ESTA urgently, worry not. Opt for one of the expedited processing options available during checkout to receive your travel authorization sooner.

ESTA Requirements for Spanish Citizens

The ESTA has a set of requirements that must be met by applicants. Spanish citizens should note the following:

  • Your Spanish passport must be an electronic passport with a digital chip containing biometric information.
  • The ESTA is valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
  • With an ESTA you can visit the US for up to 90 days for tourism, certain types of business trips, or while in transit to another country.

Keep in mind that if your purpose of travel is work, study, or planned immigration, you’ll need to apply for a different type of visa appropriate for your circumstances.

Travel Tips for Spanish Citizens Visiting the US

To ensure a smooth and enjoyable trip to the US, consider the following tips:

  • Check your passport’s expiration date – it should be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States.
  • Familiarize yourself with the customs and etiquette that might differ from Spain, including tipping practices in restaurants and taxis.
  • Make note of emergency numbers and the location of the Spanish Embassy or Consulate within the US.
  • Keep in mind the time zone differences and currency exchange rates.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is an ESTA a Visa?

No, the ESTA is not a visa. It is an authorization required for Spanish citizens traveling to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. It allows for more convenient short-term visits but is not a replacement for a visa in cases where a visa is required.

What if My ESTA Application is Denied?

If your ESTA application is denied, you will need to apply for a US visa. This involves a more detailed application process, including an interview at a US embassy or consulate.

Can I Extend My ESTA Stay?

No, you cannot extend your stay beyond 90 days on an ESTA. If you need to stay longer, you must seek a visa that permits a longer visit or fulfills the purpose of your extended stay.

Do I Need an ESTA If I’m Only Transiting Through the US?

Yes, even if you’re only transiting through the United States en route to another destination, you are required to have an ESTA.


Navigating the US visa application process as a Spanish citizen is straightforward thanks to the ESTA program. Designed for simplicity and convenience, the ESTA allows for relaxed travel planning and more time focusing on the exciting aspects of your upcoming US adventure. Embrace the spirit of exploration with ease, starting with your application form for a journey full of discovery and new experiences.

Share this...