USA tourist visa guide for Spaniards

Welcome to the land of opportunity, where lush national parks, bustling cities, and diverse cultures await visitors from all corners of the globe. If you’re a Spaniard eyeing the vibrant city lights of New York, the tech-savvy hubs of San Francisco, or the sunny shores of Miami, getting familiar with the US visa process is your first step towards an unforgettable adventure. While many Spaniards are eligible for the visa waiver program, knowing the ins and outs of the application can save you time and streamline your travel plans. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into everything you need to know about securing that coveted travel authorization, ensuring your journey to the US is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Understanding the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) for Spaniards

Before you start packing your bags, it’s vital to understand the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). This program allows citizens from VWP Countries, including Spain, to travel to the United States without a visa for stays of 90 days or less. Leisure or business trips fall under this category, offering a convenient way to explore the US without going through the lengthy visa application process. However, to take advantage of the VWP, you must obtain an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

Applying for an ESTA as a Spanish Citizen

The ESTA is not a visa but a required travel authorization that you need to secure before boarding a US-bound flight or cruise ship. Here’s how to apply:

  1. Fill out our easy-to-use online application form. The application takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to have your passport handy.
  2. Submit & Pay for your application. We accept all payment types. PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay & Credit Card.
  3. Get your ESTA emailed to you within 72hrs. We’ll email you your approved travel authorization and that’s it, you’re ready to go!

And for those who need their ESTA urgently, you can opt for one of our expedited processing options. Just select your preference at checkout.

Eligibility and Requirements for Spanish Applicants

When applying for an ESTA, you’ll need to meet specific requirements:

  • Your trip to the US is for 90 days or less.
  • You’re travelling for tourism, certain types of business visits, or while in transit.
  • You hold a passport issued by Spain that’s valid for at least 6 months beyond your intended stay in the US.
  • You arrive via an air or sea carrier that has agreed to participate in the VWP.
  • You have obtained authorization through the ESTA in advance of travel.

Ensuring that you have all the necessary documents ready and understanding the eligibility criteria can help facilitate a hassle-free application process.

Travel Highlights for Spanish Visitors

As you prepare for your US trip, consider immersing yourself in the vast array of cultural experiences. From the majestic Grand Canyon to the historic monuments of Washington D.C., each region presents a unique taste of American life. Experience the culinary delights of New Orleans, the historic charm of Boston, or indulge in the arts and music scenes scattered across the landscape. The beauty of travelling under the VWP and with an ESTA is the freedom it offers to explore multiple destinations within this diverse country.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the ESTA a multi-entry authorization?

Yes, an approved ESTA is generally valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. During this period, you can make multiple visits to the US without reapplying, as long as each visit is less than 90 days.

What if I already possess a valid US visa?

If you currently hold a valid US visa, you can travel to the US on that visa for the purpose it was issued. A valid visa and an ESTA serve different purposes, so if your visa caters to your travel needs, an ESTA application may not be necessary.

Can I extend my stay in the US once there?

If you enter the US under the VWP, you cannot extend your stay beyond the permitted 90 days. Make sure your travel plans accommodate this requirement.

What if my ESTA application is denied?

In the unlikely event of an ESTA denial, you may apply for a US visa, which will require a formal application and an interview at the US Embassy or Consulate in Spain. A visa might suit longer travel plans or different travel purposes that do not fit within the VWP restrictions.


Navigating through the process of US travel authorizations may initially seem daunting, but with this detailed guide, you’re now well-equipped to obtain your ESTA efficiently. As a Spanish citizen, your gateway to the wonders of the US is simplified through the VWP, and it all starts by completing the straightforward ESTA application form. Once authorized, you’re mere steps away from embarking on a journey filled with the discoveries and experiences that only travelling to the United States can offer. Whether you aim to capture the essence of American culture, delve into its natural beauty, or explore its innovative heart, your ESTA is the key to unlocking the vast potential of your US travels.

Share this...