Renewing Your USA Visa or ESTA

Switzerland, with its stunning Alpine landscapes and cosmopolitan cities, is a nation many of its residents are proud to call home. Yet, the lure of the open road and the cultural melting pot of the United States is an adventure not to be missed. Whether you’re planning to explore the vibrant streets of New York City, soak up the sunshine in California, or embark on a historical tour of Washington, D.C., travel to the US is an enriching experience. For Swiss nationals, the journey to America often begins with ensuring they have a valid visa, or for those eligible, an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Renewing your US visa or obtaining an ESTA is a straightforward process, but it can raise numerous questions regarding the necessary steps involved. As the availability of accurate information is a prerequisite for a stress-free travel experience, we’ve streamlined the process to answer your most pressing concerns about renewing your US visa as a Swiss traveler.

Understanding the ESTA for Swiss Nationals

If you are a Swiss citizen, you may be eligible for the ESTA, which allows you to travel to the United States for tourism, business, or transit purposes for up to 90 days without a conventional visa. Thanks to Switzerland’s inclusion in the VWP, the process is significantly simplified and can be completed online. As you consider renewing your travel authorization, it’s important to note that an ESTA is not a visa, but rather a visa waiver, and the renewal process mirrors that of the initial application form.

Is My ESTA Still Valid?

Before starting the renewal process, you should first confirm whether your ESTA is still valid. An ESTA authorization is generally valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. If your ESTA has expired or your passport has been renewed since your last authorization was granted, you will need a fresh ESTA authorization.

Steps to Renew Your ESTA as a Swiss Citizen

Renewing your ESTA as a Swiss national is as simple as obtaining the initial authorization. Here’s a quick guide:

  1. Fill out our easy-to-use online application form. The application takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to have your current Swiss passport handy.
  2. Submit & Pay for your application. We accept all payment types including PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Credit Card.
  3. Get your ESTA emailed to you within 72hrs. We’ll email your approved travel authorization and that’s it; you’re ready to go!

If you’re in a hurry, select from our expedited processing options at the checkout.

Eligibility Criteria for Swiss Nationals

To be eligible for an ESTA as a Swiss citizen, you must meet certain requirements. These include having a valid e-passport and the intention to stay in the United States for 90 days or less. Additionally, your travel purpose must be for business, tourism, or transit. Swiss nationals can refer to our comprehensive list of VWP Countries for further information on the eligibility criteria for the ESTA program.

Important Considerations for Renewing Your Visa or ESTA

While the ESTA provides a convenient option for eligible Swiss nationals, it’s vital to be aware of any changes to your circumstances that might affect your eligibility. This includes receiving a criminal record, being denied entry to the United States, or contracting a contagious disease. Under any of these circumstances, you may need to apply for a visa instead, and it is advisable to check the latest information before proceeding with your application form.

Traveling to the US: What You Need to Know

Upon receiving your renewed ESTA or visa, ensure that the rest of your travel plans are in order. Remember that an ESTA approval does not guarantee entry into the United States; that decision remains with the Customs and Border Protection officer upon your arrival. Ensure you carry all the necessary documents and have your accommodation and return travel arrangements sorted to present a clear itinerary to border officials.

FAQs for Swiss Nationals Renewing an ESTA

  • Can I renew my ESTA if it’s still valid? – You can only apply for a new ESTA once your current one expires or if you obtain a new passport, whichever comes first.
  • What if I’ve had a recent name change or gender reassignment? – You will need to apply for a new ESTA with your updated information.
  • How long does it take to get an ESTA? – While you may receive approval in minutes, it’s advised to apply at least 72 hours before your planned travel date.
  • What should I do if I am not eligible for an ESTA? – You’ll need to apply for an appropriate visa from the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  • Can I extend my stay in the US beyond 90 days with an ESTA? – No, the ESTA is strictly limited to 90 days. You must leave the country and reapply if you wish to return.

As you prepare to renew your travel authorization for the United States, remember that staying informed and prepared is the key to a smooth travel experience. For more information, guidance, or to start your ESTA renewal, visit our dedicated application page.


Swiss travelers to the United States can take advantage of the streamlined process offered by the ESTA under the Visa Waiver Program, making short-term trips for business or pleasure both convenient and enjoyable. By following the correct procedures for renewal and maintaining awareness of travel requirements, you can look forward to exploring the vast cultural and natural landscapes of the U.S. with peace of mind.

Share this...