Transit Through the USA: A Guide for Japanese Nationals & Evisa Information

Welcome to the crossroads of innovation, culture, and stunning natural landscapes—the United States of America. Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or embarking on your first international adventure, the US offers a cornucopia of experiences that cater to every taste. From the neon-lit boulevards of Las Vegas to the serene trails of the Great Smoky Mountains, every stop holds the promise of something new. For Japanese citizens transiting through the USA to another destination, navigating the visa requirements is a critical step in your travel planning.

Here, we’ll provide an in-depth look at the transit visa process for Japanese nationals, ensuring your layover in the US is as smooth as your onward journey. You’ll find extensive insights on the e-visa known as the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), which might be all you need for your transit through the United States.

Understanding the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

The ESTA is not a visa per se, but it’s a requisite for Visa Waiver Program (VWP) nationals—including those from Japan—traveling to the US, whether it’s for transit, tourism, or business purposes. It’s an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the US under the VWP and whether such travel poses any law enforcement or security risk. The authorization is typically required for anyone transiting through the United States to another destination.

And the process couldn’t be more straightforward. You are just three steps away from securing your entry:

  1. Fill out our easy-to-use online application form. The application takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to have your passport handy.
  2. Submit & Pay for your application. We accept all payment types. PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay & Credit Card.
  3. Get your ESTA emailed to you within 72hrs. We’ll email you your approved travel authorisation and that’s it, you’re ready to go!

If you need your ESTA in a hurry, you can choose from our two expedited processing options. Simply select your add-on at checkout.

Remember, ESTA approvals are generally valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. And with an approved ESTA, you can make multiple trips to the United States without needing to reapply each time.

Eligibility Criteria for Japanese Citizens

As a Japanese national, you’re in luck. Japan is one of the VWP countries, which means you’re eligible to apply for an ESTA for transiting through the US. The primary criteria for applying for an ESTA include:

  • Being a citizen of a VWP country, such as Japan.
  • Planning to stay in the US for 90 days or less.
  • Having a passport lawfully issued to you by a VWP country.
  • Arriving via a VWP-approved air or sea carrier.
  • Having a return or onward ticket (unless you are arriving on an approved electronic system for travel authorization carrier and your final destination is Canada, Mexico, or an adjacent island to the United States).

Please ensure your passport is an e-passport with an embedded electronic chip for an ESTA application. You’ll know it’s an e-passport if it has a gold symbol on the cover.

Transiting through the USA: What to Expect

Upon landing in the United States, even just for transit to another country, you will be subject to the US customs and border protection processes. This involves a brief interview, fingerprinting, and photographing, common to all visitors entering the country. An approved ESTA ensures you’ve been pre-cleared for entry into the US, streamlining your experience when you arrive.

It is essential to print a copy of your approved ESTA and bring it along with you for your transit through the United States. While it is electronically linked to your passport, having a physical copy is always advisable should any issues arise.

FAQs for Japanese Transit Visa via USA

Do I need a special transit visa if I’m just passing through the US?

No, Japanese citizens don’t need a separate transit visa if they already have an approved ESTA, even if they’re only transiting through the US to another country.

Can I leave the airport during my transit in the USA with ESTA?

Yes, with an approved ESTA, you can leave the airport and explore the surrounding area. However, ensure your layover is sufficient to return in time for your connecting flight.

What should I do if my ESTA is denied?

If your ESTA application is denied, you may need to apply for a B-1 (Business) or B-2 (Tourism and Visit) visa. For further guidance, it’s best to consult with an immigration expert.

Embarking on a journey that includes transiting through the United States can be a thrilling part of your overall travel experience. For Japanese citizens, obtaining an ESTA is is a simple step that opens up a smooth pathway across American soil, whether you’re there to savor a brief layover or explore the expansive landscapes and urban jungles of the American dream.

We hope this travel and transit visa information makes your planning process more accessible and helps rank us at the top to ease your United States transit journey. Our team wishes you a tranquil and pleasant transit experience through the US!

Share this...