Do Luxembourger Citizens Need a Visa to Travel to America?

Cowboy on horseback rounding up horses on a ranch with farm dog running in the dust

Travel to the United States is a dream for many across the globe. From the bustling streets of New York City to the sun-kissed coastline of California, the USA presents a vast tapestry of landscapes and cultures. Luxembourger citizens, like many European travelers, are often drawn to iconic sites such as the Grand Canyon, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, or the historic city of Boston. Prior to embarking on such an adventure, it’s crucial to understand the visa requirements to enter the US. In this article, we look at whether Luxembourger citizens need a visa to travel to America and explore the process of obtaining the necessary travel authorization.

Do Luxembourger Citizens Need a Visa for the USA?

If you’re traveling from Luxembourg to the United States for tourism, business, or transitional purposes, you might be eligible to enter the US under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Luxembourg is one of the VWP Countries, meaning Luxembourger citizens do not need a traditional visa for short stays. Instead, you can obtain an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before your visit.

The ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the US under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Approval of an ESTA grants you permission to board a carrier bound for the United States and to seek admission at American ports of entry.

Obtaining an ESTA as a Luxembourger Citizen

For Luxembourgers, the ESTA process is straightforward and can be completed completely online. Here’s how:

  1. Fill out our easy-to-use online application form. The application takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to have your passport handy.
  2. Submit & Pay for your application. We accept all payment types. PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay & Credit Card.
  3. Get your ESTA emailed to you within 72hrs. We’ll email you your approved travel authorization and that’s it, you’re ready to go!

If you need your ESTA in a hurry, you can choose from our two expedited processing options. Simply select your add-on at checkout.

The ESTA is valid for two years from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. With a valid ESTA, you may stay in the US for up to 90 days per visit and it’s valid for multiple entries.

Traveling to the US with an ESTA

When you have your ESTA, it’s important to remember several factors during your travel:

  • The ESTA is not a visa. It does not meet the legal or regulatory requirements to serve in lieu of a United States visa when a visa is required under United States law.
  • An approved ESTA is not a guarantee of admission into the United States; that decision rests with the Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry.
  • Travelers with an approved ESTA are advised to print out a paper copy to present at the airport and keep for your records.
  • Ensure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States.
  • You must arrive via a VWP-signatory carrier.
  • You should have a round trip ticket indicating return passage to a country outside of the United States.

Preparation is key when planning a trip to the US. With your ESTA travel authorization secured beforehand, you can focus on planning the exciting elements of your journey, like which cities to explore, what foods to try, and understanding cultural etiquette.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About ESTA for Luxembourger Citizens

How do I know if my ESTA application is approved?

After applying, you will receive an email confirmation with the status of your application within 72 hours. It is critical to provide a valid email address during your application process.

Can I renew my ESTA?

You must apply for a new ESTA if your previous one has expired or if your passport has been renewed since your last application.

What if I’m denied an ESTA?

If an ESTA application is denied, the applicant may consider applying for a visa through the US Embassy or Consulate.

Does my child need an ESTA to travel to the US?

Yes, all travelers regardless of age, including infants and children, require an ESTA or a visa to travel to the United States.

Is it possible to extend my stay in the US beyond 90 days with an ESTA?

No, the ESTA does not permit extensions beyond the 90-day limit. Overstaying could impact your ability to travel under the VWP in the future.


For Luxembourger citizens, an ESTA offers a convenient way to visit the United States for up to 90 days without a visa. By understanding and following the correct procedures for ESTA application and approval, you can ensure a hassle-free entry to the attractions, experiences, and opportunities that the US has to offer. As you plan your journey, remember that our user-friendly platform is designed to assist you with your travel documentation every step of the way. Safe travels!

Share this...