Visa or ESTA: What Danish Travelers to the USA Need to Know

Denmark’s rich cultural heritage and the United States’ diverse landscapes have fostered a steady flow of Danish travelers eager to explore the vast expanse of America. Whether you’re a Danish citizen planning to capture the glitz of Hollywood, marvel at the skyscrapers of New York City, soak in the natural beauty of the national parks, or engage in business endeavors, understanding the difference between an ESTA and a visa is crucial for your travel plans.

The US has always been a top destination for travelers around the globe. Its vibrant cities, cultural diversity, and historical significance make it a unique place to visit. Danish citizens are among those who can experience the ease of accessing the US through the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), but it’s imperative to know when an ESTA suffices and when a full visa is necessary.

Understanding the ESTA for Danish Travelers

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the U.S. under the VWP. It’s not a visa, but a travel authorization that allows Danish citizens to visit the US for tourism, business, transit, medical, and short study purposes without the need for a traditional visa. Here’s what you need to understand:

  • Convenience: Applying for an ESTA is much quicker and more straightforward than a visa application.
  • Duration: An ESTA is valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first, and it allows for multiple entries into the US with each stay lasting up to 90 days.
  • Eligibility: Danish citizens are among the VWP countries, making them eligible for an ESTA. You can verify your eligibility by checking the VWP list.

To apply for an ESTA, you’ll need a valid Danish passport, an email address, and a payment method for the application fee.

When Is a Visa Necessary for Danish Citizens?

While an ESTA is convenient for short trips, there are specific circumstances under which a Danish traveler would need to apply for a visa:

  • Long-Term Stays: If you plan to stay in the US for more than 90 days, you must apply for the appropriate visa.
  • Study and Exchange: For academic purposes or participation in exchange programs, a Student (F or M) or Exchange Visitor (J) visa is required.
  • Work: For employment in the US, various work visas corresponding to the nature of the job and employment relationship are necessary.
  • Other Purposes: If you’re traveling for other reasons such as journalism, crewmember work, or if you retain a criminal record, a visa is also required.

Those who are ineligible for an ESTA for any reason must apply for a visa before traveling to the United States.

How to Apply for an ESTA

The process for obtaining an ESTA is user-friendly and can be completed in just a few steps:

  1. Fill out our easy-to-use online application form. The application takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to have your passport handy.
  2. Submit & Pay for your application. We accept all payment types. PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay & Credit Card.
  3. Get your ESTA emailed to you within 72hrs. We’ll email you your approved travel authorization and that’s it, you’re ready to go!

If you need your ESTA in a hurry, you can choose from our two expedited processing options. Simply select your add-on at checkout.

FAQs for Danish Travelers

Let’s address some common questions that Danish travelers might have regarding the ESTA and visa.

Can I work in the US with an ESTA?

No, an ESTA does not permit you to engage in any employment in the US. You’ll need to apply for the appropriate work visa.

Is my ESTA guarantee of entry into the US?

An approved ESTA is not a guarantee of entry into the US. The final decision rests with the Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry.

How long can I stay in the US with an ESTA?

With an ESTA, you can stay for up to 90 days per visit. For longer stays, a visa is required.

What if my ESTA application gets denied?

If your ESTA application is denied, you may need to apply for a visa to travel to the United States.


Understanding the difference between an ESTA and a visa is essential for Danish travelers heading to the United States. With this knowledge, you can easily plan your journey, ensuring that your travel authorization or visa fits the purpose and duration of your stay. Remember, an ESTA is a convenient option for short-term travel under the Visa Waiver Program, but a visa is necessary for all other types of travel. When you’re ready, start your travel preparations with our straightforward ESTA application form and get ready for an incredible journey to the United States.

Share this...